Why Drink Raw Milk?

Posted on July 10th, 2009 by Dr. Mercola  |  3 Comments »

Milk is one of the oldest foods and one of the first health products. But nowadays, milk is no longer what is used to be. Sure, we now have a lot of options when we go to the supermarket – pasteurized milk, skim milk, powdered milk, flavored milk, soy milk – but none of these come close to the real thing.

Raw milk from grass-fed cows is milk in its natural state and is one of the healthiest foods you can consume, says Dr. Thomas Cowan, co-founder of the Weston A. Price Foundation.

Dr. Cowan is convinced that a large part of disease in the United States is linked to how Americans handle or mishandle milk and milk products. It is a little known fact that pasteurized milk is the number one allergenic food in the country and has been associated to a number of health problems, including:

  • Arthritis
  • Autism
  • Bloating, Cramps and Gas
  • Cancer
  • Diarrhea
  • Heart Disease
  • Infertility
  • Leukemia
  • Osteoporosis
  • Recurring ear infections and colic in infants and children

Dr. Joseph Mercola explains that raw milk is generally not associated with any of the above health problems. Even people who are allergic to pasteurized milk can typically tolerate and even thrive on raw milk.

Pasteurization, which heats milk in temperatures between 145 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit, alters the structure of delicate milk proteins, transforming it from something beneficial to something harmful, allergenic and disease-causing.

Raw milk from grass-fed cows is an exceptional source of nutrition and is superior to processed milk in every aspect. It is a completely balanced food composed of :

  • Proteins – Raw cow’s milk contains all the standard amino acids, which your body does not need to convert into usable form. Almost 80 percent of milk proteins are caseins, which are easily digested and reasonably heat stable, while the remaining 20 percent are whey proteins, which are also easy to digest but very heat sensitive. Raw milk also contains complex proteins called immunoglobulins, which help fight viruses, bacteria and bacterial toxins and may also help relieve asthma symptoms.
  • Carbohydrates – Lactose (milk sugar) is the main carbohydrate in raw milk. Lactose-intolerant people cannot digest milk because they are incapable of producing the enzyme lactase, which is necessary to break down milk sugar. The lactose-digesting Lactobacilli bacteria is found in raw milk, which may allow people who have traditionally avoided milk to drink raw milk.
  • Fats – About two thirds of milk fat is composed of saturated fat, which helps construct cell membranes and important hormones, provide energy storage and protection for delicate organs, and serve as a vehicle for important fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin D. Grass-fed raw milk also contains up to five times more Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA), which has cancer-fighting properties, helps inhibit the formation of body fat, lower insulin resistance, enhance muscle growth, lower cholesterol and triglycerides, and help reduce food allergies.
  • Vitamins and Minerals – Raw milk is a complete food which contains both water and fat soluble vitamins, unlike pasteurized milk, which needs to be enriched. It also contains a number of minerals ranging from calcium and phosphorus to trace elements.
  • Cholesterol – We naturally manufacture most of the cholesterol we need in our bodies. Milk contains about 3mg of cholesterol per gram.
  • Beneficial bacteria – While most food normally go bad as it ages, raw milk actually gets better because it has self-protective properties from good bacteria.
  • Enzymes – Raw milk contains 60 functional enzymes, some native to milk and some coming from the beneficial bacteria present in raw milk. These enzymes all have their respective roles to help keep you healthy. For example, consuming food that contains enzymes help lessen the load on your pancreas. Enzymes also help make milk safer to drink by protecting it from bad bacteria.

Stop missing out on the benefits of raw milk. Drinking and buying raw milk is perfectly legal in all states. What’s illegal, is selling it to the public, except in eight states: Arizona, California, Maine, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington. The other 42 states have a number of different rules. For more information on how to find raw milk in your area, visit http://www.realmilk.com/where.html

.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

 

Responses to “Why Drink Raw Milk?”

  1. Evelyn Kennard says on :

    What are the benefits of eating soy and drinking soy milk? I’m a vegetarian and would like to know.

  2. jediballer says on :

    Hi Evelyn,

    Please visit this link, for more information

  3. Crazy Cow Fight says on :

    Awesome difficulties right here. Now i am very happy to peer this page. Many thanks so much and i am writing about forward to hint people. Can you please fall us a postal mail?

Leave a Reply