Cancer is one of the most dreaded diseases in the United States. In 2002, cancer became the number 1 killer of Americans under the age of 85.
According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), almost 1.5 million new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in 2009, and the latest estimates are indicating that by 2030, there would be over 26 million cancer patients, with 17 million deaths.
The good news is, many cancer cases and deaths can be prevented.
The ACS states that about one-third of the more than 562,000 cancer deaths expected to occur in 2009 will be related to obesity, physical inactivity and poor nutrition, and 169,000 will be attributed to smoking.
So what can you do to avoid cancer?
“Take control of your health,” says Dr. Joseph Mercola. Living an anti-cancer lifestyle means living healthy to avoid the growth of cancer cells in your body.
Here are Dr. Mercola’s top 12 tips to prevent cancer:
- Optimize your vitamin D levels – Get plenty of sun exposure and consider other sources of vitamin D, like a safe tanning bed or a quality vitamin D supplement, when this is not possible. If you’re a cancer patient, Dr. Mercola urges you to regularly monitor your vitamin D blood levels.
- Stop eating processed foods and reduce your sugar and grain intake – This is true even for whole unprocessed organic grains because they tend to rapidly break down and cause a spike in your insulin and leptin levels, which is the last thing you’ll want if your goal is to treat or prevent cancer.
- Manage your fasting insulin and leptin levels – This is the end result, and can be easily monitored by using simple and relatively inexpensive blood tests.
- Normalize your omega-3 fats to omega-6 fats ratio – You can do this simply by taking a high-quality animal-based omega-3 fat like krill oil and by reducing your intake of most processed vegetable oils.
- Exercise regularly – Exercise brings your insulin levels down and managing insulin levels is one of the best ways to reduce your cancer risks.
- Always get enough sleep.
- Eat according to your Nutritional Type – This is one of the most powerful anti-cancer strategies recommended to patients in Dr. Mercola’s Natural Health Center.
- Limit your exposure to environmental toxins like pesticides, household chemicals, synthetic air fresheners and air pollution.
- Limit your exposure to electromagnetic radiation, which is produced by cell phones, cell phone towers, base stations and WiFi stations.
- Cook healthy – Avoid, microwaving, frying or charbroiling your food. Boil, poach or steam your foods instead.
- Eat at least one-third of your food raw.
- Consider using a tool to permanently address the neurological issues that can activate cancer genes – The CDC states that 85 percent of disease is caused by emotions. It is likely that this factor may be more important than all the other physical ones in this list. For Dr. Mercola, one of the best approaches is the Meridian Tapping Technique.